Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Budgeting Wallet







One of my New Year’s resolutions is to move to a more envelope based spending system. Why is it so hard to break that $20 bill in your wallet, but so easy to write a $50 check?? Anyway, I received Dave Ramsey’s book, "The Total Money Makeover" for Christmas. It is a great book and I highly recommend it. Dave Ramsey advocates using the envelope system for many of your daily spending needs as a way to curb excess spending. You allocate your money into the different envelopes at the beginning of the week/month and when the money is gone…it’s gone.

In honor of my New Year’s resolution I made the “Envelope System Wallet”. I am so in love with it and couldn’t wait to share it with you. The wallet features a Velcro closure and one main pocket, in which the envelopes fit using Amy Butler’s Gothic Rose fabric (gorgeous!!) The three envelopes are made in a coordinating fabric and can be removed entirely from the wallet to further enable you to stop unwanted spending. For example, if you are going grocery shopping and know that you have plenty of gas, you can remove the gas envelope to prevent "dipping". I transferred labels to each of the wallets for easy reference. I would be happy to transfer a Bible verse, saying or other labels at your request. Last but not least, there is a zippered pouch for coins, driver’s license and pictures of the kids (plenty large enough for up to 10 cards). I will be selling these on
Etsy. Come over and see!!
Do you need some extra reasons to go cash only? Be sure to visit Simple Mom!

26 comments:

Michele said...

Genius!! and beautiful!!! I love the whole idea!! You can bet I'll be your first customer!!! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great idea. Absolutely love, love, love the fabric choice!

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

OMW! That is AWESOME!!!!

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

Do you mind if I put a link on my blog for these?

n*stitches said...

Thanks Phoebe! Yes - Please put a link here!! Thanks for looking!

Cem said...

What a great idea and so stylish too. Love it!!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! What a wonderful idea. From somebody on an all-cash basis, I love it.

Crackerjack Shack said...

Love Dave Ramsey! Love the cash-only wallet! Love the fabric!! This is a winner, Mandy

Kathie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and I looove this idea of the cash envelope wallet!

Lara said...

Very smart and cute!

Nancy said...

Abasolutely love your 'envelope' wallet. So cute & stylish. Nice fabric choice too. I'll have to stop by etsy to check out what's available. I think I need to read the Dave Ramsey book; I've seen it referenced on several blogs.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Come back and visit, anytime.

Michele said...

WOW! This is awesome. What a great idea! I checked over at Etsy where you are selling them and saw you live in Thomaston, GA. I am just up the road from you in Griffin. I love to sew myself but I make very little time for it. Your work is beautiful!!

Lindy said...

I love it! I will definitely be ordering one! Where do you buy your Amy Butler fabrics? I live in the Atlanta area and am in the process of trying to find a local fabric shop that carries the Amy Butler line.

Susan {LilbearMe} said...

Love it! Your "cash-only wallet" is awesome. It sure beats carrying a wad of paper envelopes like my mom does. I love the fabric! Beautiful job!

Laura said...

This is lovely and such a great idea!

Melanie said...

Love the wallet! I love the envelope system but can't find an easy & stylish way to carry cash! I will be getting one eventually, when I save up the money!

Amber Bass said...

This is a great idea! I do this for Christmas savings ($20 Each week from January till November) and a few other things.

I used to sell on etsy. :) Small world.

Rachel Ray's the best!! And her food is soooo easy to make.

Unknown said...

That is gorgeous!

ppdesigns said...

What a great idea!! Looks fab too :)

Jennifer (Niffer) said...

I didn't see them on etsy. are you still selling them? I'd love to order one!

The Happy Housewife said...

So cute! I love the wallet. We are cash only too. I have Dave Ramsey's envelopes, but my grocery one is very worn!
Toni
http://thehappyhousewife.com

Unknown said...

I'd love to order one off Etsy, but wasn't able to find them. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Hope Wilbanks said...

I am also interested in buying one of these. If you're planning on making more to sell, please let me know. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Where can I buy a couple of these

Steve and Megan said...

It looks like your wallets are in demand! I tend to use more than 3 envelopes, would your wallet have enough space to hold extra envelopes? Please let me know if you're planning on making more to sell.

MatlockBossLady said...

Do you still make these? I would like to buy one.