Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Make Me French Toast Til I Tell You To Stop!

My wonderful husband is known for his difficult mornings. They all began when he was a young child. His horrible mother would come wake him up, help pick out clothing and then had the nerve to ask (in her bright cheerful voice), "What would you like for breakfast?". Appalled that she would actually expect him to make a decision like that in the early morning hours, finally resulted in my future husband answering back, "Make me French Toast, til I tell you to stop and don't ask me again!"

Well, she did. She made French toast each morning for his breakfast for almost 8 years. Then one day, he told her to stop (I think this is because he was leaving for college or something).

This statement has become quite famous in our family. It is still mentioned around holidays and all the 13 grandchildren know of its story.

Luckily, my husband's grumpy morning self has mellowed with age as I am not sure I would have been able to see the humor in it! But I thought I would share my mother-in-law's famous french toast recipe with all of you just in case you have a grumpy morning child who doesn't want to be spoken to!

Make Me French Toast Til I Tell You To Stop Recipe
(make enough for 4 pieces of french toast)

3 eggs - lightly scrambled with a whisk
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons of sugar
4 pieces of sliced bread

Place skillet over medium heat and put in a pat of butter to start melting.















In bowl, whisk first 4 ingredients.





























Soak each piece of bread individually for about 3 seconds.














Place bread in skillet and cook about 3 minutes on each side. You may need to slightly pick up a corner to check for doneness, it should be golden brown. Serve hot with syrup.















Around my house, french toast is a Saturday morning affair. To dress it up, I also make strawberry syrup to go on top!

Strawberry Syrup

1 cup frozen or fresh strawberries (in summer I use fresh)
2 Tablespoons of sugar
1/4 cup water


First let me tell you that the proportions mentioned above do not have to be exact in order to make great strawberry syrup. I am sure that sometimes I have a little more of this and a little less of something else, but regardless, it always tastes delicious! Place strawberries in blender (if using fresh strawberries, you can skip this step and just slice them up. Place in pot over medium heat. Add sugar and water.






























Stir occasionally to make sure that it is not sticking. Syrup will come to a boil and slowly thicken. When it is to your desired thickness remove from heat and serve!



Because it snowed, we decided to have an extra healthy French toast recipe, made with Angel Food Cake instead of bread. We served it with the Strawberry Syrup and it was heaven! Just follow basic french toast recipe using store bought or homemade angel food cake insead.



































I am getting hungry just thinking ab
out it!

Visit Organization Junkie for more wonderful recipes and menus!

2 comments:

LacyHolly said...

Mmmm!!!! I'm excited to try this! I'm really excited about the strawberry syrup! That look really tasty :) Thank you for sharing this.

Sarah said...

There must be something universal about guys and early morning food-based decisions; my SO will not, for the life of him, make his own breakfast choices without a battle. His preferred response is to say "whatever you're having," even when the choices are easy to customize, like "what type of tea would you like," or "how many sugars." Still, if offered French toast for 8 years, I think he'd be pretty enthusiastic, especially with that delicious looking strawberry sauce.