Thursday, August 4, 2011

Gored Skirt Tutorial!

A few calculations are needed before you begin. 
1. Measure your waist and add 1/2 to 1 inch for ease.
2. Divide that measurement by the number of panels you want your skirt to have. (My skirt has 6).
3. Add 1 inch to that number for 1/2 seam allowance on either edge.
4. The resulting number is the width of the top edge of each panel.
5. Now multiply that number by at least 1.5.  I multiplied my number by 3 because I wanted a fuller skirt at the bottom.
6. The resulting measurement is the width of the bottom of each panel.
7. I measured the length of another skirt plushem lenght to get the length of each panel.
8. Sewing right side together, sew entire skirt together. 
9. Turn skirt inside out. Iron all seams open.
10. Place zipper face down on a seam so that the zipper is centered on the seam.
11. Pin in place and sew using a zipper foot.
12. Use seam ripper to open seam in front of zipper.
13. Take a nice deep breath!
14. Make waist band.  Cut a length of fabric equal to waist measurement plus 2 inches.  Width of strip should be 2 inches also.
15. Fold in half length-wise and iron.
16. Open up.  Fold in edges to center crease and iron.
17. Pin raw edges together and sew in the top crease.
18. Flip waist band over, pin and sew very close to folded edge.
19. Take a pic!

11 comments:

Just Jaime said...

CUTE! Looks simple enough! Thanks for sharing, maybe I'll get the courage to tackle this!

Samantha said...

Fab! This is a great summery skirt and I love how you've inserted your zipper....I always have such issues....

Thanks xx

cherished bliss said...

Great job! I have got to learn to do the zipper thing... I don't know why it's so scary! Thanks for linking up to Craft and Tell!!

Anonymous said...

Super cute!! I love it! Makes me wish I sewed!

Sew Can Do said...

Love how simple you made this. I love sewing, but always put off zipper projects but this way of doing it is genius (and fairly goof-proof). Great!

Lbob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lbob said...

Hi, love the skirt and would love to know what fabric you used or where it was from. Thanks Lx

Jodie said...

How did you get the hip width. Jodie

n*stitches said...

I am almost positive that the fabric was from JoAnn's Fabrics. I looked around a little to see if there was a scrap hanging around, but I couldn't find it. Thank you!

n*stitches said...

I didn't take a hip measurement. Because each piece angles outward, there was plenty of hip room.

Unknown said...

I love all the posts, I really enjoyed, I would like more information about this, because it is very nice., Thanks for sharing.
Signature:
Versión en descargar facebook en español a los países hablan Español: facebook entrar agora , facebook en español para and facebook entrar direto