Thursday, July 14, 2011

It's Christmas in July! Freezer Canning Salsa

 I love this picture.  I can't believe I took it. So I have super-sized it, because there won't be another like this for a long time.
This is how I spent my morning.  I love salsa and the hotter the better!  I do have a favorite recipe that makes beaucoups (that's french) amounts of tasty salsa which I then freeze til I want it.

SALSA!
1 can 28oz. whole tomatoes (with juice)
2 cans 10oz. Rotel Original
1-2 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 c. chopped sweet onion
1-2 jalapeno peppers - seeded and chopped
1 t. sugar
1 t. salt
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. papricka
1 c. cilantro - chopped
juice of one lime

 Dump all the above goodies into a large bowl and I mean large.  Then, in batches, process the ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.  How long you process depends on how chunky you like your salsa.
 Next, wash your jars and lids in hot soapy water. Rinse and let dry on a clean towel.  To ensure good sanitizing, you could boil jars and the 2 part lids.  I usually use half-pint freezer-safe jars.  The freezer-safe part is really important. 
 Fill your jars.  Use a clean, damp cloth to wipe and spills around the rim.  Place on the lids and pop into the freezer.  Salsa will be good for up to a year.
UUmmm...yes, I could just pour this into freezer safe bags.  But I like the convience of pulling out a jar, allowing it to thaw and off we go.  I do not have to take the time to repackage the salsa during the busy holiday season. 

Oh, and about that holiday season thing, we usually get most of ours way before then.

No comments: